Friday, June 06, 2008

20 years

I had my first high school reunion dream this past week. Yup, my 20 year high school reunion is coming up next month. Since transitioning, I've only run into one of my classmates...and that's because he was building my parents new home.

I've chatted with a few of them via email or IM, so most of them already know...well, those that stay in the loop on our alumni website are in the know, at least.

In my dream, though, I had 2 male classmates that were being semi-obnoxious about my situation. Sigh...hopefully none of that stuff happens at the actual reunion. Of course, I have no idea how any of them will react. Sure, there will likely be the wow-factor, but the worst part for me would likely be the damn pronoun stuff.

Believe it or not, I have one guy at work that is still using the damn male pronouns. He left a message on my phone the other day that ended with "Thanks, guy." I'm really getting annoyed whenever he does pop those into the conversation or meeting. They're small things, but still, it would be nice not having to deal with it. I don't want to blow it out of proportion by going to his boss or anything, but it would be nice if he would either use female pronouns, or just call me Kara instead of using pronouns. If he continues, I'll either have to send him a note or talk with his boss about it. I'm trying not to make a big deal about it, though, because I don't want it to be an issue in the work place. Fortunately, I don't have to deal with him on a regular basis.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

My own 20 year high school reunion is going on this weekend and needless to say, I didn't go. I went to high school in Clearwater, Florida and graduated with almost 1000 other kids, many of whom I had no idea who they were. From what I saw, the people who made my life miserable in high school are the same ones running the show this time around. I suppose they are pretty much the same, only a bit heavier and a lot less hair.

I've tried hard to forget high school, I had some really good friends and a few good memories, but for the most part it was just high school, a tough time for a lot of kids, especially ones who were miserable in their own bodies. I still keep in touch with a few people and they all know so I'm sure that word has gotten around to some of my other high school friends.

Jessica Lyn said...

I had my 10 year reunion 3 years ago.. err well, I bought tickets for it but I didn't go. I drove to the place where it was held, but turned around a drove along coast for a while instead. I guess I was just depressed about my body and didn't want to see anyone. It was nice to smell the ocean and hear the waves crashing though.

At least by my 20 year reunion I will be able to go as myself.

I've actually started writing in my own blog now... Kara I hope you don't mind my posting the link... although I guess my name will be a link as well.

View My Blog