Thursday, August 26, 2004

Adolescence and Evanescence

I took a phone call on the hotline today from the mother of an FTM. She was looking for a particular therapist in the area. After talking to her for a while, she said that her transgender son was 13. Wow. Thirteen. That’s just incredible that there continue to be reports of transgender people that seem to be getting younger and younger. I’m sure they have always been there, but now parents are hopefully able to understand a little more of what is going on, and not boot them out into the street.

What if we were able to start treatment before puberty hit us? Would that eliminate so much of the GID? Would our bodies be allowed to develop along the lines of our minds before having to experience the horrible aspects of the wrong puberty? I’m sure that would be ideal for a lot of us, but the hard part is getting past what society thinks of us. High school is already hard enough without even going through transition. And the pinnacle action belongs to the parents on whether or not to support their child. Without their support, transition becomes almost impossible at that age.

Back now to the mid-thirties, I was at Dr. Brownstein’s office today to talk about body contouring. He basically said the same as the first plastic surgeon – that I didn’t have much to work with. He said that he could get me about 20% of what I was probably looking for, and asked me if that would be enough. I don’t think it would be, especially for the cost, pain, recovery time, and possible complications.

So, with that, along with having too much muscle, I’ve decided to do the veggie diet for a while and see what effects that will have on what I am looking for. I’m basically finishing off what food I do have in the house, but then I’ll be cutting it down to veggies and salads, with perhaps some fruit for breakfast. Diet’s suck. To really lose weight, one has to change their habits. I’ve changed over the years – quitting caffeine and most sodas, drinking more water, removing chips from my diet, and eating more vegetables. I’ve still been eating way too much sugar, though, which mainly goes to feeding the muscles and my chocolate craving.

With this second puberty, though, I’ve noticed a lot of fat move to the ass and thighs. I’ve also noticed that I run a lot slower than what I used to run. Here’s the thing, though. When I ran in high school, I noticed that the freshman girls were usually the faster runners. Once the girls started developing, most of them slowed down…not all, but most. We also had a girl in college who came in a little chubby as a freshman but really leaned out over the next couple of years. She became an excellent runner. So, I’m going through what a lot of girls go through in high school….development. I believe that once I move past SRS and a few more years of solid hormones, I can drop down to a lower dosage…at which time, I hope I will be able to thin out a bit…although I’m not really that fat-chubby now.

No comments: