Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Balance

OMG...they just ran the male version of this Sprint commercial. The one I had seen up until now had the Sprint guy telling a bunch of sorority girls that they could now call free at 7pm instead of 9pm. They all go bananas with it being 7pm. The one just now had a bunch of fraternity guys instead, who go bananas when they find out “it’s a good deal.” The funny thing is that just this week I was thinking how stereotypical the sorority girl commercial was, but now they’ve balanced it out. I’m impressed.

Last night I came out to one of my classmates in dance class. She hadn’t been around in a few weeks, so when the class started going to the tougher routine, we kinda stood there watching them. The questions started then.

“What made you take this class?” she started with. First I said it was a long story, but then I explained about the play I was in earlier this year and how some of my cast mates had recommended taking the class.

She kinda caught me off guard with a comment like “How are you so pretty?” Huh? So, I said, “Well, I cheat a little.” ...which led into me coming out to her. I told her I was transgender, on hormones which helped out my skin complexion and that I didn’t have as much facial hair with electrolysis. She was totally cool with all of it, and intrigued as well. She asked a few more questions including the one I seem to get here and there: “So, are you gay?”

“Nope.” Then I went into the whole gender identity/sexual orientation thing. She was curious about the voice thing and if I had a “before” picture. Although I haven’t changed that much yet, I showed her my boy and girl ID. She took it all pretty good. I mean, we’ve talked here and there in class, but she barely knows me...which it seems allows a person to take the disclosure a lot easier.

She also asked, “How long have you known you were going to do this?”

“All my life,” I quipped back, “but only recently did I accept it and realize it’s what I need to do.”

No comments: