Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Louisiana

....finally passed their anti-gay marriage crap today. That’s too bad. Bigotry still seems to reign supreme in the US. And we call ourselves one of the greatest nations, yet here we are one of the worst when it comes to granting equal rights. I guess I am just a second class citizen.

OK, so why am I so upset with this marriage thing still? So, here’s another argument. People say that gay people should just get civil unions. What happens when they provide their civil union paperwork to HR or somewhere to apply for benefits for their partner? Will they be discriminated against when they don’t have their marriage certificate but have their gay civil union?

Louisiana has decided, though, that a couple can’t even get a civil union, or anything even remotely similar. If you aren’t a straight man and woman, forget about having any type of legal relationship.

Ironically, Louisiana still allows one to change the sex marker on their birth certificate. I know this because I was looking at it online today. Why? Because I was born in Louisiana. I’m trying to dig up what I will need to do after SRS to obtain a new birth certificate when I have a letter from my surgeon that says I have had irreversible sex reassignment surgery. Looks like I had better get it done as soon as possible after SRS in case they decide to take away that right as well.

No comments: