Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Bad CAR-ma

On my way to the Vagina Monologue's practice tonight, I was rear ended. I was turning right at an intersection behind a few cars when one of the ones ahead suddenly stopped when they noticed people in the cross walk. I was able to brake in time, but I worried about someone behind me smashing into me. I saw the car rapidly approaching.....WHAM!!!!!!!! Dammit! Sure enough, I was hit. And pretty hard I must say. I tried to put my car into park, but my garage door opener had been dislodged from it's normal place and ended up in front of my shifter. I moved it back to its normal location, and also noticed the passenger sun visor was disproportionally forward due to the jolt. I opened my door when I made sure the traffic was clear and asked, "Are you ok?" to the man standing outside his car. He was.

We looked over the damage to our cars. His looked like it was leaking fluid from under the engine...but he said it had been leaking for a while. Mine had a lot of scuff marks, and cracked paint all over the plastic section of my car that's supposed to be a bumper. Damn. Luckily, though, there appeared to be no structural damage.

We pulled into the Jiffy Lube-type place right at the corner and traded information. He was just a kid, and the insurance card he handed me belonged to someone else. I guess I was fortunate that he stopped, though. So, now I have to call up my insurance company and deal with all of that crap again...sorta like last year when my mom had a little accident with my car. It's all sorta deja vu.

This is the second time in my life when I have been rear ended. Both times have definitely shaken me up. It all makes me realize just how fragile we are...how close we are to death. It could all end just like that.

No comments: