Thursday, December 11, 2003

The Queen Who Would be a Man?

I wrote a letter to Prof. J. Michael Bailey...yeah, the one who wrote the controversial book “Man Who Would be Queen” just to ask him about his theories. Here’s my letter followed by his short response:

Prof. Bailey,

Hi, I haven't read your book, yet, although I do have a copy and it is in line to be read by me. Also, I am a male to female TS, but have pretty much stayed out of the controversy that your book has created. I like to stay open minded on all of this. Also, I'll do no bashing of any sort in my email.

I've looked at the general TS principles you have written about in your book. I understand the concepts you have presented based on homosexual and autogynephilic transsexuals. You say that the autogynephilic population is aroused by the thought of becoming a woman or being a woman, especially in a sexual situation. The homosexual population you associate with liking men and being very feminine basically from the start.

I wonder, might your two classifications actually be a result, and not a source of the desire to transition. Could the homosexual group have a gender identity of female and an inherent sexual orientation toward men, or aroused by homosexual sex...and could the autogynephilic group have a gender identity of female and an inherent sexual orientation of women, bisexual, or aroused by heterosexual or lesbian sex? Could autogynephilia actually be a result of the brain trying to cope within the shell of a body that it had? Isn't cross dressing the same thing...something the body does in order to alleviate the GID symptoms experienced by transsexuals?

Anyway, you probably address this in your book, but I haven't been able to read it yet. I know you have probably received this type of question before, and I was just wondering what type of response you have.

Also, I was wondering what type of TS you usually label a person who has experienced both sides of your theory? Does anyone who has experienced any hint of autogynephilia automatically fall into that group? As a young child I was very small (I'm only 5'5" now). I was also fairly smart as a child and usually always made straight A's. I learned at an early age that I had the body of a genetic male. I existed as a very androgenous person until people started seeing that I wasn't always presenting in a way consistent with most boys at that time. I learned to become more masculine not only because of my GID but because of my size. I detested my male genitalia. I dressed up as a female as early as age 7, but never participated in any type of sexual activity until I was 19. As a man, I was attracted to women, but never really succeeded in having a relationship with a woman. I spent the next 12 years in what you would probably consider an autogynephilic state. Now that I look back at the numbers, I find it quite ironic that there is almost an even balance of 12 years dividing two distinct states for me. Currently, my sexual orientation is undecided, although I believe that I will be bisexual to a degree.

At 31, I found that transitioning to living as a female was the only course of action that would enable me to live a life that corresponded with who I am.

Although I do still have some autogynephilic thoughts (sex is way less on my mind now), they are enough to keep my brain happy until I do have what it feels like is the proper genitalia.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and questions. I'd be interested in your opinion.

Kara


His response:

Kara,

Thanks for your thoughtful and civil message. I do not believe that autogynephilia is the result of female gender identity in the commonly understood sense of having a woman's mind/emotions, but more work is probably needed to convincingly resolve the issue.

You sound satisfied with your transition. Congratulations.

Regards,

Mike Bailey


Now, in my profession saying "I do not believe..blah blah blah" without having the data to support it, nor being able to prove the other hypothesis is incorrect, is pretty much worthless. I don't think he even looked at one being a cause of something else, even if my own hypothesis is incorrect.

Oh, well, that's why I always say "Do what you need to do to be happy...as long as you aren't [physically] hurting anyone."

No comments: