Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Library books

Last week, Robi and I were riding to a vendor with me driving. She pulls out this bottle of what looks like iodine, but instead it’s lip gloss. She says it works better than regular lipstick since it doesn’t cake up and get in the lines of the lips, further drying them out. The stuff she has kinda stains the lips and lasts much longer. She then says that I obviously don’t understand what she is talking about. Hah, shows you what she knows.

On our way back, I asked her what she was doing for this past weekend. She said she had her book club meeting discussing the book she had me drop off a few weeks back. Yep, the intersexed character one. I told her further how reading the inside cover gave Pete the heebie jeebies. She said she was actually the one that recommended the book to the club. Somehow she then brought up ‘gender identity’ which I was fairly impressed with. Most people are totally unaware of that phrase. I asked her if she had a personal experience with that situation, meaning ‘knew someone’ who had a gender identity conflict. She thought I was asking if she had a gender identity conflict, but I simply corrected her. She also mentioned that the character in the book did and said all the things to pretend to be a girl, but later figured out that he was really a man, and transitioned. I thought it was wild how she noticed that the character had to pretend to be someone that society thought he should be, but later he figured it all out. I hope she will be able to relate to my situation, and how I have ‘lied’ to them for the past couple of years. I did it to keep my job, while also providing them with the image and person they needed me to be. I know a lot of people feel betrayed after one comes out, simply because it feels like that person no longer knows who the transsexual really is. I know my coworkers have started to see the emergence of a more expressive side of me, but they just don’t see the girl yet. Soon enough. :)

No comments: