Wednesday, May 04, 2005

One round of pads down

Over the past week or so, I’ve noticed my urethra seems to be smaller. When I took a look tonight, I noticed it is a lot smaller at the opening than I had seen in the past. I would say that the opening is no larger than 3mm in diameter...if even that. The restricted flow is what made me check it out. It used to be a nice flowing stream, but now it seems a lot narrower. It looks like that will have to be corrected at labiaplasty....which is fairly common, I understand.

Since things have finally started looking really good along all the incisions, I’ve stopped wearing pads. It gets annoying having to wear them all the time, changing them after dilating, and dealing with stench issues if I start oozing anything out...especially around the clitoris. The oozing has finally stopped, so most of those problems have cleared up.

Pete and I were chatting after a meeting today. I asked him about the subject matter he is studying in class. He’s going back to school to be a therapist, while also working part time in his usual job. During our conversation about therapists and what I want to be when I grow up, I reflected on something I have heard about therapists....that they become therapists to figure something out about themselves. Pete commented, “Would you want a therapist who couldn’t relate to having gone thru the healing process?”

He’s right. To truly understand something, we have to have experienced something similar in our own lives.

On my walk across campus this afternoon, I saw a guy walking with a severe limp obviously caused by some disability. I wondered how similar the two of us were...me with a social disability of transitioning from one sex to another, and he with a physical disability that prevented him from walking without a limp. Both of us made the best of our situations.

It made me think as I continued my walk. Would I ever want to be involved romantically with someone who hasn’t been through their own healing process...someone who hasn’t had to deal with their own situation? I’m not talking about just another transgender person, but anyone for that matter. I just don’t think anyone who hasn’t been through their own journey would understand mine.

No comments: