Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Poll

I was driving the other night and had some of the Cotillion still on my brain. I seem to do a lot of thinking sometimes, and yes, some of the whole T stuff makes me curious.

I was chatting with a T at the Cotillion. She is on the initial steps of transition, but already looks great. I was curious about her family and asked her if she had siblings. Two sisters.

"Were you first born?"

"Yeah."

"Yeah, same here. I see a lot of that. There are also a lot of military brats."

"My dad was military."

"See? So was mine."

It would be incredible to do a large sampling of transgender people to see if there are any correlations or commonalities, or at least compare it to the general population. Do we migrate to certain professions or careers? Do we have similar backgrounds or regions? Is there something biological going on?

Of course, a really good study would require DNA testing and possible medical charts dating way back to the mother/father or grandparents, or even exposure to different substances over time (think professions such as coal miners or something, that are exposed to different chemicals). That would cost more money than most of us could ever dream about, but it would be amazing to look at some of it.

Hell, maybe I'll put together a questionnaire and start sending it out to transgender contacts. We're all connected by three degrees of separation, anyway, right? Hmm...

(to be continued?)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be happy to circulate it to our group here - Northern Virginia near DC (TGEA)
-Jude
judithmiquela6@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

First born here and Dad was an officer in the army. Weird!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kara. I really enjoy your blog!
I'm a first born, and ended up an officer myself (Air Force judge advocate for 4 1/2 years). My father was a headquarters sergeant for awhile, which I suppose doesn't count as he hated it. I'd be interested in a poll too.

Anne in Denver
anne@sheck.com

Jessica Lyn said...

I'm second born with only one brother and my father was not in any military.