Sunday, July 27, 2003

Candy Coated

Inside the past two weeks I had an internet friend ask me if I was in the U R Not Alone chat room. I told her I wasn’t. She said she saw me there but didn’t think it was me after a series of questions directed to this person. Friday night, I got an email from some guy who said he talked to me in the same chat room and blah blah blah thought I was attractive. Thanks.

So, I decided to visit this chat room and see if I could spot the poser. Sure enough, Saturday night after a busy day, I spotted this fake Kara hanging out in the room. I confronted her and basically proved to the rest of the group that she was a fake. I think I scared her off pretty fast, that, or she was headed out to a club. It sounded like she wanted others to join her. The club name and address she gave was in the Sunset area. I would have loved to have gone there to see who she was, but it was getting a bit late, and it was not the shortest drive. Plus, I didn’t have backup.

Anyway, I talked with the people in the room a bit more about who this impostor was. She claimed that she/I was a champion shoplifter and stole from Bloomingdales. Oh....great. Well, I guess, to a degree, it is sort of flattering to have someone posing as me, but I find it more annoying.

Yesterday I was at a shared birthday party with friends. There were a number of women there, one of which knows about me, but the others don’t. They just know me as a guy. Anyway, one of them was talking about her outfit and how she now liked the sheer 3/4 sleeve shirts over a tank of some sort. She said that was her look now...I told her it was mine, too. God, I love those little ironic foreshadowing comments, and Kathy kinda chuckled when I said it. I don’t know how to describe them exactly. Is there a word? It’s the ones where you play on what they have said, but in a TS manner they just don’t get now. I mean, when I said “it’s mine, too’, she just thought I was being sarcastic, but in actuality, I was basically stating the truth.

The first person I ever came out to was a woman I used to participate in some sports with. I’d known her for about 6 months before I came out to her. We got along pretty decent for 6 more months, but we found that we just couldn’t get along. I was a bit sarcastic, and I think the T thing was just too hard on her. I think she liked the boy, and hated to see him go as I began the initial phases of transition. Anyway, she formed her own little sports group for women, and has been doing quite well with it. After looking over her website one day, I noticed a picture of a T I knew. Wow, small world. My friend and I had emailed each other once in a while, and when I emailed her again, I asked how everything was going. She emailed me back the usual stuff, and that she thought she had an MTF with her group, and possibly two. She asked if I knew them. Well, being the truthful person I am, I said yes.

So, she had invited me to a party for her group today. I went to say hi since I hadn’t actually seen her in over a year and a half. Of course, both of the TS I knew were there, but I didn’t think they were out to that group. When talking with my friend there, she said that after discussing the topic with a friend, she found out the entire group knew they were TS, but obviously hadn’t confronted them about it. OK, how to handle this situation? Do I just brush them off like I don’t know them, or just say hi and introduce myself to them as my boyself. I don’t think they had ever seen me in boymode, so I wasn’t sure they would recognize me. I’m a fairly social person, so I wanted to at least say hi. So, I waited for a while, then with my friend standing next to me, she introduces me as K then Kara. My T friend then denied even knowing me. So, I dropped any conversation right away, and tried to get my friend away as well.

I got a phone call from the TS tonite. She asked if I had outed them to my friend, and I told her that she already knew...and in fact, the entire group already knew. She also told me that she had no idea who I was initially, but eventually figured it out. We then had a conversation on how hard it is for people when a person they knew transitions from one sex to the other, but it’s so easy when they meet the person as their new gender, and never knew them as the old person. It’s also far less confusing for them since they don’t have to worry about messing up pronouns since they will have always known them as “she.”

Finally, this afternoon I was rotating the tires on my car. My dad would shoot me if he knew that they hadn’t been rotated in two years. Anyway, here’s me in jeans, a t-shirt, and running shoes, wearing a floppy ponytail. I had heard someone else making noise on their car, too, when about halfway thru my endeavor, a guy starts to approach me. I had my side/back to him, but quickly turned once I saw him. He struck up a conversation that he was rotating his tires, too, and wondered if I needed any type of help. I said I was ok with my one jack and jack stand. I wondered if he thought I was a girl initially, or perhaps he was just a friendly individual. It’s one of those things were I’d love to just ask him why he came up to say hi to me:

A. Thought I was a girl
B. Just being friendly
C. Don’t know
D. All of the above.

No comments: