Tuesday, July 08, 2003

Father knows best.

Dad and I had a good talk on the night he picked me up at the airport when I flew in on the 1st, though. We probably spent close to 2-3 hours talking about my situation. He expressed some of the same concerns that my sister shared with me. They both basically thought that I had become friends with the TG community, and had been influenced by a group of transsexuals to transition. (Hey, the mind comes up with some tricky stuff.) They both want me to go see a therapist that does not specialize in gender issues. Initially, I told my sister I would go see any accredited therapist she wanted me to see, on one condition...she had to go, too. She took this as an attack on herself and responded that she didn’t have any problems and didn’t need therapy. Well, it’s more of an attempt for them to hear what those therapists will say. Those therapists are most likely going to say either that I am a transsexual, or that I need to go see a therapist that specializes in gender identity concerns. My dad wants me to see a therapist in an area where we used to live. I think I will accomodate my dad, but will make the same request...my sister or my dad has to go with me.

My dad also expressed some of the general concerns he has for me. He fears for my safety, my career, and that people will discriminate against me. His fears are justified, as I share them as well, but I told him that not surprisingly, the prettier you are as a girl, the better you do in society. It’s just a fact of how life is screwed up. Our conversation ended on a good note, though, when he said the decisions I was making were probably for the best.

No comments: