Tuesday, July 01, 2003

There is no Santa Claus

I’m flying home today to spend a week with family and old friends back in the Midwest. I’m going to be in guy mode pretty much the entire time because it’s damn hot there for makeup, and well, to keep people from freaking out too bad. I’m going to hang with the family until Saturday, then drive over to Missouri and visit some old friends.

My good friend Jamie said I could stay with him and his family, although he wanted me to be in guy mode or girl mode the entire time, and not switching back and forth. He didn’t want me confusing his kids, and he didn't want to have to explain gender identity stuff to his kids at this time. His kids are 3 and 5. I was kinda disappointed in him at first. I’d been out to Jamie for over 1.5 years and thought he had a better grasp on this. Gender identity is not something you just change, nor is choosing to be a transsexual something you just decide to do. I asked him what he did when his kids saw adults dressed as something like Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny....did he allow them to see them knowing they would have questions at some point about the legitimacy of those characters? I guess it just didn’t relate to him. But then I told this story to two TS, and they totally sided with him. So, I re-evaluated the situation, and I understand how not telling a child about transsexualism could be a good thing for parents that are concerned with the issue. But these kids will probably get the "story" inside the next several years, anyway. Oh well, Jamie and his wife are their parents, and I’m sure they know best. I have several cousins that are young and a few children of cousins that have done quite well with my news, and none of them have run out to get a sex change so far. But I understand how parents might be cautious about having to explain this to their child, because you just never know.

No comments: