Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Life is a highway

I was getting ready in girl mode tonite for a young TS support group meeting in the South Bay, when I got a phone call. It was my electrologist calling to say she was headed home. She wondered if I wanted to get some extra hours in this week. Hell Yes!!! I had been moping around for 3 weeks without getting zapped, and that news just made my day. So cool.

The meeting went well, with 7 of us listening to a 35 year old post-op tell us about her last 10 years. She was 8 years post-op. She looked great, but her voice needed some serious work. Oh well. What she mentioned was stuff I had run into as well. She talked about how when she was transitioning she was the youngest and smallest, and had a hard time relating to the girls that were much older and taller. I know that it takes everyone different times to come out to themselves, and it took me a while too. I’m probably slightly under the average, but by how much, I’m not sure. I know the average age for FTM’s is much lower than MTF’s in transition. But there are different issues with someone who is single and in their twenties or early 30’s to someone who was married with kids and over 40...but they are still my sisters, and I have learned a lot from them. That was my first time at this meeting, and found it very refreshing to see people more around my age.

I stopped at In-N-Out on the way home and decided to go in to order. That was one of the first times I’ve gone to a mainstream place on my own while in girl mode...well, besides the entire trip home in girl mode. Most other times I always went in at least pairs or thru the drive thru. When I reached the main door, I almost turned away and thought about going thru the drive thru....but I just threw open the door and walked in. I’m tired of hiding.

On the way down to the meeting tonite, though, I was driving along on the highway when a guy in a truck starts honking at me. He kept looking at me and tried to get my attention. I just kinda blew him off. Of course, being a pessimist, I think he can tell that I am TS, or I just don’t want him to figure it out. Sure, I do ok from about 20 feet and out, but ya never know.

When I rode with Rachel this past weekend to GAPA's Runway Pageant we had two guys on the way up and two guys on the way back that kept honking at us. The ones on the way up spotted Rachel and her blond hair. They were both just staring away as I saw them coming up alongside her in the view of the rearview mirror. The passenger dug out his camera and took a picture. Of course, Rachel started posing...and the car started drifting over into the other lane. "RACHEL!!! Don’t have an accident!!!" She steered us back into the lane and kinda chuckled. Oh yeah, she loves it. I’ll admit it’s pretty cool, but I’m just getting used to it. OK, let’s face it...Rachel drives a hot car, is blonde, and looks pretty damn good. I asked her if this happened often, and she kinda laughed and said “yeah” in the most angelistic manner she could.

On the way home, we had 2 guys in a hatchback spot us again. This time they started out on my side, and began honking, then slowly moved around to Rachel’s side. We were on city streets, then went to the highway. They kept following and honking that dang horn. No wonder so many people have accidents. So, right before we got to a major highway interchange, she veers off to the other route, leaving them all alone on the original highway. Eh, it was better for them this way.

No comments: