Saturday, May 29, 2004

GenderPeace'n out in Chicago

Pulled from the pages of my written journal

Actually, it’s early into Sunday morning, but I’ll keep this entry on Saturday. I’ve spent the past day with some of the girls off of GenderPeace; well, the ones that were able to make it. I wish we could all gather in one location just to be able to say hi in person, but we all have financial or other constraints that prevent us from traveling around the world.

After arriving at O’Hare yesterday afternoon, I rode the Blue Line to downtown, where our hotel was located. It’s too bad more cities don’t have mass transit like this.

Anyway, I met Becca downstairs and we kinda just sat around until more people showed up. A lot of us eventually ended up in Nova and Juri’s suite. We then went for some deep dish pizza down the street. Ya gotta eat deep dish while in Chicago, right?

Let’s see, I’ve met a ton of people: Becca, Laura, Makenna, Juri, Nova, Meg, Jessica, Crista & Beth, Sarah (who is the only person I’d actually met before), Jaded, Jade, Taylor, Rebecca, Jennifer, Tina, Artemisia, Shoshanna, and Amy from AmyNews.

This morning, I was off for a run in the drizzle. I ran along Wacker Drive (what a name, huh?) to the lakefront. I ran along there for a while before turning back right past the fountain that’s in the intro to the Married with Children TV show. There was a Memorial Day Parade downtown, so there were a number of buses with military personnel in them. During my entire run, I never had any whistles, cat calls, or heckling. Either they were very well behaved, or I did not come across as distinctly female. Catching glimpses of myself in the passing windows, I think it’s the latter.

Because of the drizzle, we moved our scheduled picnic inside. Three of us walked down to McDonalds to grab some burgers to eat with the rest of the food that Artemisia brought along since we obviously weren't about to barbeque inside.

Tonight, we were off to the Blue Man Group. We rode the Red Line up there and caught a fairly entertaining show. We ate dinner afterward, and then caught an amateur drag show before heading back to the hotel.

Me and a Blue Man


Oh yeah, circus girl - Jayne - made it in midday today. She showed us some of her handstand and juggling skills. We actually did a little juggling together where she would steal the balls from me, then I would steal them back. I’m a total amateur juggler, but I do OK considering I don’t really juggle much. She’s quite skilled. Tonight, she was doing her pole hanging trick.

Most of us are full time, but there are a few that are on their way. It’s sorta strange looking back at where they are and when I was at a similar stage. As Laura said, “our journeys are the same, but yet they are so different.”

No comments: