Saturday, May 08, 2004

Getting back into the swing of things

Do you ever have those weeks were you feel like you are so busy you never really get anything done? Yep, I had one of those this past week, except, well, perhaps I got a few things done.

On Tuesday, I was back to work. That afternoon, though, I had a consult with Dr. Beck in Dr. Brink’s office concerning laugh line reduction. Yeah, when I look at my face after FFS, it looks female, except for the lines around the mouth. I’ve had them for quite some time, and they scream “male” to me. Claire said they weren’t that bad, but I still see them, plus I feel like they also make me look old. I mean, I’m OK with the crow’s feet that pop up around the eyes and the wrinkles in my forehead, but the deep laugh lines really suck. I decided upon a filler that claims to last for 4 months, which doesn’t seem like that long if you think about it. If I like the look and am OK with all of it, I might go for the longer lasting filler at a later date. So, although he was ready to do the filler right then, I told him that I’d rather wait until the official 3 month mark after FFS surgery. Thus, I made an appointment for later this month.

That night, I went out to dinner with an old friend I’d met at some of my initial support group meetings, but who moved away a few years ago. We had dinner at one of the local Chinese restaurants, and although I’d eaten at this place a few times in the past, I don’t think I’ll be heading back since their hot and sour soup really sucked. Anyway, we talked about where each of us was. When she first met me, I was this little punk wearing a blonde wig and some funky clothes. Her and Blonde Rachel were kind enough to take me interactively out in public for my first time some 2.5 years ago. That seems so long ago. Although Blonde Rachel has been able to move forward with her transition and is now living her life post-SRS, my friend is in a very hard position. She’s around 50 and works for an all-Catholic boys school – in boy mode, obviously. Doh! She’s also having to deal with the family situation. It’s definitely pretty tough for her to go forward with her transition at this point without sacrificing a lot of the things that mean a great deal to her. I do not envy being in her shoes. So, kids, if you think you are transgender, try not to get a position at a Catholic school, OK?

On Wednesday night, I was off to the newly revamped Mid-Peninsula Support group meeting. I was asked to show up to try to get the group going again with some decent numbers. Roxy is doing a good job of trying to get it rolling again, but unfortunately, a hotel has been picked to hold the meeting. It’s in a decent location, but it’s just really hard for a newbie on their first time out to walk through the hotel lobby and up to a meeting room. The previous location of the meeting offered a very private setting, something not offered by the hotel.

I tried finding time after the support group meeting to write an entry in here about my thoughts on the following morning’s visit to the dentist, but I ran out of time doing laundry and preparing dinner before heading to bed.

So, I was a little scared heading to my dentist on Thursday morning. I wasn’t too scared, though, since I realized that the worst that would happen would be them telling me they wouldn’t work on me. The office receptionist is this nice Latina woman, who works for two dentists, both Chinese. I’ve only been a patient of the younger Chinese dentist, who shows great finesse around the teeth and gums. When I first moved out here, he took care of a few of the cavities I had. (My old dentist said that he used a less proactive approach to filling cavities since they weren’t causing me trouble at that time.) A year ago, though, I guess they had an emergency so they called in this white dude as the substitute dentist. He sucked. He was rough and his overall skill was pretty sad. They promised me after that time that I’d always get my dentist from then on. Good deal.

So, anyway, I walked into the office bright and early, the receptionist spots me, then her eyes kinda light up. I don’t remember her exact response, but she basically said she was cool with it and that everyone in the office would be cool with it as well. She said they had a few same sex couples that came there as well. Awesome! So, we chatted for a few minutes and she asked me a few questions about what I had done. Even the dentist assistant was pretty cool with it, as well as my dentist. The whole situation went really well, and I was made to feel quite comfortable there.

Thursday evening I went to the city to visit a T who contacted me that she was seeing Dr. O and would be in the Cocoon House for a while. I visited S and P in the front room. The girl in the back room was there with her mom and was having surgery that day, and the girl staying downstairs with her mom was having surgery on Friday. The girl downstairs was 17. Wow! Claire met me over at Cocoon and we all chatted for a while. We both kinda wanted to see the 17 year old before she had her surgery, but she never stopped in.

Claire and I walked up to Noe Valley for dinner. I tried a new pasta dish called Gemelli - Corkscrew pasta, grilled and smoked chicken, sundried tomatoes, mushrooms, garlic, cream sauce. I’m not a big fan of mushrooms, so I picked out a few, but otherwise it was pretty good.

I picked up dinner for my me and my electro last night at the usual restaurant, and for the first time post-FFS, Brandon the bartender was there. I caught a glimpse of him catching a glimpse at me as I walked to the area for to-go orders. Who knows if he recognized me or not, but someone else took care of my order…not him.

We spent an hour and a half on my face last night before my electro had to pick up an out of town client at the airport. I heard her voice over the phone and it sounded incredible. I waited around for a while because the pain killers still had me a little wobbly, so I met her when they came back. She was cute, and shorter than me, and not until the next morning did I finally realize she wasn’t a T. I ended up staying over since my usual evening residence wasn’t at home. This morning, we worked an hour on the face then spent an hour down below on the genitals…a first for me. Youch! That hurts! Well, it all hurts, but there is different pain in different areas being treated. This was more of a wincing pain. Last night, I kinda trimmed the hairs pretty short, but it appears that she likes them a bit shorter. I told her I’d try, but it’s pretty hard to get too close using buzzers. Perhaps I just need to shave on the Monday before and have her hit the ones that are long enough by that Saturday.

No comments: