Wednesday, August 27, 2003

Books

Last week I traveled with coworkers Robi and Pete to a vendor. On the way back, we dropped Robi off in San Francisco. She wanted me to drop off her library book since it was due then and she had forgotten to drop it off. So, I said sure. As she was handing it to me, Pete asks what the book is about. She says it is called ‘Middlesex’ (alarm bells were going off in my brain) and it was about a hermaphrodite (no need for me to correct them on the now PC term...intersexed). Pete, who usually seems very open minded, goes “eeeeewwwwww!” and acts as though he is doing the heeber jeebers. So, since Pete is driving, I take the book and look at the inner cover. I start reading the synopsis to Pete as we are driving back. He goes “eeeewwww” again and does his squirming, but then says “ok, continue” after I paused for a second. I asked him what the big deal was...it was just a story about a hermaphrodite and the history of his genetics thru his past. Then I hit him with the line from my therapist: “If sexual orientation is so non-bi-polar, why should we think gender would be any different?”

“Huh? Say that again,” responds Pete.

So, I re-Peted myself. (Hah, see how easy I amuse myself!)

Thoroughly impressed by my remark, Pete responds “That’s very open minded of you.”

I think I would have totally freaked him out right there if I had said “If you think the book freaks you out, how about the transsexual you’re riding with?”....but it was just a thought running through my brain.

Money, money, money...take 4

I was a very happy person today. We found out our bonus amount. Mine came out to 6% of my annual salary. Sweet!!! The check is being issued on Tuesday. Every little bit helps on this journey, and this will help quite a bit in the electrolysis section, as well as the impending Dr. O down payment.

Money, money, money...take 5

I put together a summary of my financial situation for Brooke to look at. She’s an expert with finances, so she is going to provide a little analysis of my current state of things. I finally located the info on my old 401k account and found that it has been sitting in some low interest stable fund for the past year. Uncool, but I will be able to switch it into a better fund later this year.

No comments: