Saturday, March 13, 2004

Elevator Ride to the Top

The check from my state disability had my new legal name on it, but I still haven’t changed my checking over to the new name since I just went to the DMV this past week. Anyway, I figured it would be better to get the check in the ol’ checking account, so I went to my bank with my old license, my court order, and my old checking stuff to change my name. Things went pretty good, and her eyes didn’t pop out of her head when she saw the old male license, but I did sense a bit of discomfort from her at times. After that, I deposited the check in my account, which also has my old name on there as an “AKA” just in case I have other checks that come in with the old boy name.

I went to Damon’s 30th birthday party in the South Bay, saw a few friends, ate some burgers and brownies, and chilled inside for a while watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. As I sat there watching the movie, I thought to myself, “Hey, this Charlie kid is probably getting pretty old by now...they’ll need a new person running the factory pretty soon.” So, I found that Willy Wonka came out in 1971 and Charlie was supposedly 10 in the movie. That makes him 43 about now, which is still pretty young to be running a factory....but maybe not THE Chocolate Factory. And, when I looked at IMDB, they listed a new movie for release next year: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Is Charlie turning over the factory to someone new? Nope, it just says that Tim Burton is remaking the story closer to the book (always think dark with Tim Burton...thus, they should call it Charlie and the Dark Chocolate Factory?!?!)...and believe it or not, Johnny Depp is taking on the role of Willy Wonka. I found a bunch of neat little items on IMDB, though. Did you know that the role of Charlie was the only role that child actor ever had? It’s hard to believe he never had a role after that.

I then cruised to meet Kathy for some shopping and dinner. It was Kathy’s first time to see me since before surgery. She said she was really worried about the results, but after seeing me, she said she was pretty happy with how I looked.

We did a little shopping, and as I was checking out with my credit card, the guy at the counter asks to see my ID. Since the DMV took my girl ID card, I only had the boy one. So, I said, “OK, this might not be an ID you'll like” as I handed it to him. He was totally unfazed, then handed it back. He’s rung me out at that store before a number of times, so maybe he remembered me...who knows.

I’ve noticed that the local news channel is running promos for the Gwen Araujo murder trial jury selection process that begins on Monday. Gwen Smith also reminded me of the upcoming trial a few weeks ago. Gwen Araujo was a transgender teen that was murdered by a group of guys after they found out she was T. They buried her body over a hundred miles away in the Sierra foothills. Since one of the guys pleaded guilty and turned state’s witness, the graphic details have come forward on what happened to Gwen on that fateful day in October 2002. I can remember her name and story being read at the 2002 Day of Remembrance and how I cried uncontrollably. That was the first time I noticed that the intensity of my emotions had increased drastically on hormones. I think the events just hit a little close to home. I mean, I attended her funeral with a few T-friends, although I showed up in boy mode since I had to go back to work afterward. The girl, though, wasn’t a saint. She had sex with these guys even though she was pre-op, but they never knew until someone questioned her gender. During a house party, one of the girls discovered Gwen’s physical gender in the bathroom and disclosed that information to the guys that were there. They spent a few hours bashing her body, then hauled it away to bury their deeds. Sure, she played with fire, but she didn’t deserve to be killed, and her killers will hopefully receive their rightful punishment.

No comments: