Monday, March 15, 2004

The Vulcan Mind Meld

Sitting at work as me lately, along with a few other events, has been very...unique...sorta. For the past few years, I basically had two different worlds. I had the boy-world which grew smaller and smaller until it existed mainly at work, and then there was the girl-world which grew from my closet outward. They were almost always distinct...never crossing. Still, though, the girl-world was consuming the boy-world, and each new encroachment was sometimes hard to get used to...hard, but in a good way. Now that girl-world has fully consumed boy-world, it’s still something I’m getting used to. Perhaps I shouldn’t say consumed, but more like merged.

For example, last Thursday (Day 2 at work), Robi and I went out to lunch to a place that calls your name when your order is ready. After I ordered, the lady at the front counter asks for my name. Because this place, along with being with Robi, had forever existed solely in boy-world, I started to give her my boy name...but I corrected myself as the syllables slowly slipped out of my mouth. And it’s just wild sitting in my cube at work as me...a place that had forever existed only in boy-world. It’s still something I’m getting used to...quite fast. Really, it’s strange looking back at how I used to sit in this cube as a boy. It was only a shell that I hid within. The boy, not the cubicle. So, now my worlds have melded, and there is only one world in which to live. It’s kinda nice so far.

Yesterday morning, I finally changed my work ID over to the new girl name and picture. The security guard didn’t seem to have any trouble with the entire affair. The picture wasn’t the best, but at least it has a better picture than before.

I went for a nice 2 mile walk last night. As I told a friend, I tried jumping up and down to see how my face would take the jarring, and too many things felt just a little too weird to do any running yet. It was nice to get out, though, and do a little exercising.

Today, I decided to wear a skirt to work. Hey, it’s been rather warm here lately, so I figured it would help keep me cooler in case the building suddenly hit a heat wave. So, I was walking on my work campus up to the mailbox to drop in a birthday card to my sister, and as I turned to walk back, I saw a UPS truck turn the corner. Right when the truck was level with me, I turned my head and caught the UPS guy checking me out. He just smiled. Hah! Snagged!!! Pretty sweet!

I also called Dr. Meltzer’s office to begin looking at SRS for next year. It appears that they are booking about 8-9 months out, which means I can probably get scheduled for about this time next year. Now, I just need to take care of their paperwork request, which they mailed out to me, and pay the down payment of $500 to book a date.

I guess today was a little day filled with a lot of different little milestones. I received my new Social Security card in the mail today. HR also officially changed my name at work and finally sent a request to IT to change everything else...including my email.

No comments: