Thursday, January 08, 2004

When you wish upon a star

I was down in the LA area on Tuesday and Wednesday at a conference. My two close coworkers and I flew in on Monday night, and headed to Downtown Disney for Y to grab a bite to eat. Robi and I mainly munched on some appetizers while both of them split a huge piece of carrot cake for dessert. After we arrived back at the hotel, I handed both of them THE letter as they climbed into the elevator. I was only on the 2nd floor, so I just took the stairs. Whew, I’d stayed up until 2:30am Sunday night writing those letters and a few other items that needed to be taken care of before I left.

Amazingly, I slept pretty good. Y called me in the morning to discuss breakfast, but that was about it. The three of us had breakfast, then attended the conference. We met up with an old coworker for lunch, then drove Y back to the airport for his trip home. None of the T stuff was discussed.

On the way back to the conference, Robi decided to talk about it, and said she was OK, but definitely shocked. She hadn’t seen any of this coming. She was a little sick, so she turned in a little early from the conference while I wandered around a little more. I wrapped up a day, went for a little run past Disneyland, then discussed dinner with Ally from GenderPeace. She decided to drive down to eat dinner with me. I talked to Robi about eating dinner with us, and she said she was up for it, even with a warning from me that I would be in girlmode. I went up to her room a little early so that she wouldn’t freak out in the hotel lobby when she saw me for the first time.

As I sat in the room, she admitted that this was all very different for her, and that it was going to take a while to get used to. She’s never seen this side of me, so basically she’s meeting a new me. She is so observant, though, as she stated that it’s like a second adolescence and that I’ll have to learn all of the things that a girl learns as she grows up. I told her that she was exactly right, and that I have been learning a little over the past couple of years. She made me stand up and turn around, then stated that she was impressed with my nice, yet basic look.

Later, Ally and Ani arrived, and we were off for a late dinner. Robi did great with all of it, and I was extremely impressed, as this was less than 24 hours after reading my letter to her. Ally was looking great as usual. Her skin is so clean and her nose is naturally feminine, with her voice just blowing us away. Ani came in semi-androgenous mode and had such a vibrant spirit. She’s just wanting to break out of all of it, but is fighting with the hair gods to let some of it grow back. Our bodies can be so cruel.

On our way to the airport the following day, Robi was talking a little about music, and asked if I even listened to hip-hop since I am such a “stiff.” Yeah, she used to think that I was just some lame white boy from the Midwest with no style, no culture, and no taste buds for fine dining....but in a good way. When I told her that I recently purchased Outkast’s latest CD and had listened to one of the CD’s the other night, she was thoroughly impressed again. I told her there were a number of songs on there that were really good, although it was kinda uncool to have like a 3-year old son rapping “motha phucka” on one of the song’s funny moments. Anyway, to have Robi impressed with me on two different occasions inside 24 hours has got to be a record.

When I got home from the airport I found the Dr. O presurgery information pack in my mail. I skimmed through it, but I will have to read it in detail pretty soon. I’m just a little over a month away. Whew....exciting!!!

We drew numbers for the Cotillion this past weekend. I’m the last competitor, just as Rachel was last year when she won the title. I still have a lot of practicing to do for my talent, but most of it is there. Now I just have to put together the outfits based on my write-ups for the evening wear and casual wear sections.

No comments: