Friday, March 03, 2006

52 Things

The National Center for Transgender Equality is running a weekly campaign throughout 2006 on things everyone can do to achieve transgender equality and awareness. Some are easy, some take a little more planning.

So far, here is the list:

#1 Take a Trans Person to Lunch

#2 Ask your library to carry books that deal positively with trans people

#3 Attend an anti-racism training and put into practice what you learn

#4 Run for Office

#5 Invite your mayor or other elected official to address a trans group or town meeting

#6 Plan an Art Show of Works by Trans Artists

#7 Create and publicize a calendar of local events and encourage people to attend them

#8 Start an online community or a blog that deals with an issue that is important to you

#9 Change the Policy of an Organization You Belong To


I have to admit, I've only done #1, part of #7, and #8 (obviously). I've checked my library for trans related books before, but never asked them to carry anything specific. I've attended numerous LGBT type training, but none of it was ever specifically geared toward anti-racism. I've never thought of myself as a racist since I grew up with people of all different types of races. I had my share of white friends growing up, but my best friend in 6th grade was black, and three of my best friends in high school were of Spanish or Filipino ancestry.

Anyway, I find this list intriguing and thought I would mention it.

No comments: