Friday, March 31, 2006

Dixie Chicks

I'm about two weeks late on the premiere of this (since I don't typically follow country music), but the Dixie Chicks released a new song I find very courageous.

As one might recall, the Dixie Chicks got into a little trouble with their country fans by bashing Bush a few years ago. I was proud of them. Free speech, baby!!! Rural America is one of the worst places to be different. Serious. Most of them profess the Bible thumping, good ol' boy, corn fed, dog in the back of my truck, country music playing, heteronormative lifestyle. [I'm sarcastically stereotyping...there are a fair amount of rural folks that are very nice people...they just need a little exposure to all of this to get a little better understanding. I still think the religious card is the main culprit when it comes to lesbian, gay, or transgender acceptance.] A number of them are just doing it so they aren't perceived to be different (think Brokeback Mountain). Just to be fair, though, I will admit that there are some country music songs I like...even if they are sung but the aformentioned.

My life used to be very much like the Dixie Chicks. I was the liberal, open-minded, tolerant, non-religious person living in the conservative, closed-minded, intolerant religious land of Oz. Fortunately, though, I don't have fans who won't buy my music....because, well, I don't have any for sale. While in Oz, I might have bashed Bush in the twilight period between 9/11 and the invasion of Iraq, but I soon learned that my comments were in stark contrast with everyone else in Oz....unlike California. I had nothing to gain, so I stopped, although I did converse slightly before the last election.

Their latest release, though, which is available free as a video on AOL for one day only or as audio on the Dixie Chick's site, is a direct response to the outlash they received following their Bush bashing. I like the song...a lot. I guess everyone can interpret the song as they choose, but, to me, it's basically saying that they're going to do as they choose, but my favorite line comes with "Can’t bring myself to do what it is you think I should". I can relate. So much of our society comes down to the rules we impose, either explicitly or implicitly, in fear of being different.

In light of all the truths, non-lies, or misrepresentations that are now coming out in our government over the perceived handling of the invasion of Iraq and the deaths that continue to mount, I think it's a lot easier for the Dixie Chicks to be in the place where they are, but I still wonder if Middle America is willing to accept that.

No comments: