Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Staying busy

This week is pretty crazy. I stayed out way too late this past Saturday, woke up way too early Sunday morning to catch a flight, had an interview in Phoenix for another freelance part-time job (more on that trip another time), and have just been non-stop ever since. It's not supposed to end until about noon on Saturday....well...I hope by then.

Just some random bits, though:

I ran across a very recent article about transgender women in the California prison system. It's definitely worth a read. TGSF was able to assist with TIP a little over a year ago when a transgender inmate was being released to LA, but didn't have enough money to get started with the first month's rent. A number of people pitched in to get her on her feet while she started working at a new job.

I also ran across an editorial about a new bill that would eliminate the 'trans panic' defense. The piece discusses how one would never use the defense of 'the man was black so I killed him', but how the Gwen Araujo convicted murderers used the 'she was transgender so I killed her' to their advantage...and how transgender people are so marginalized.

Also, I got an email concerning the balloting for San Francisco Pride Parade's Grand Marshals and Pink Brick awards. Here is a list of the people and organizations on the ballot, as well as the ballot itself. Supposedly, one need not be from San Francisco to vote. Of note, Cecilia Chung is a good friend who has been nominated for Grand Marshal. She is also a transsexual woman, and has been an inspiration of mine the past few years. She has been wonderful to work with on a number of outreach projects I have been involved with. If not for her energy, many of the trans-related activities in San Francisco simply would not happen. She really deserves the honor.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the 'out late' thing Saturday.

But I had fun and I hope you did too. - R

Anonymous said...

Kara out late? Say it aint so! The I'm always home by 9 Kara? The get to bed Lauren because its past 12 Kara? Hmmmmm me thinks someone has been living a double life. :P

Lauren

Kara said...

Well, I have to say, no one forced me to stay out so late. I made it to bed by 3am, so that wasn't too bad...it was the getting up at 7am that really hurt.

I had a lot of fun, though, and enjoyed the group topics...bunnies, vaginas, sticking gas nozzles up ones anus...just the regular party conversations, ya know?

..and Lauren, when I say get to bed, it's past midnight my time...that's 2am where you are. :P

Kara said...

...another article about Spain allowing MTF transsexuals to serve their time in female prisons...regardless of status.