Thursday, March 09, 2006

What will middle America do now?

I'm not a big Wal-Mart fan. The quality for a lot of their products just isn't that great, but I will admit that when I lived in the Midwest, I shopped there a lot. They were open 24/7, and when I needed to buy groceries later than the 9pm closing time of the local grocery store, off to Super Wal-Mart I went. Here in the Bay Area, though, there aren't that many around...and a lot of grocery stores are open 24/7 to handle my late night shopping.

OK, I'm going to cause trouble today.

I don't have any problems with religion. Seriously. It's just when religion forces their list of rules as general policy for everyone else that I have a problem. A lot of religions and churches promote some good stuff...respect your parents, respect your neighbors, don't kill, don't steal, etc. A lot of local churches promote peace and tolerance, but there are the big names out there preaching that God will strike you down if you are gay or if you promote the 'gay agenda'. It's really only the noisy ones that we hear.

Now comes an article today from the Agape Press (whose header is 'Reliable News from a Christian Source....puh-lease...that has to be right up there with Army Intelligence) that bashes Wal-Mart for supporting the 'homosexual agenda'.

The article mentions that 'Wal-Mart aggressively supports the promotion of homosexuality' simply by having a seminar about marketing to Gay America and establishing an LGBT group within the corporation. Good for Wal-Mart...perhaps they are finally seeing the people as people instead of as machines. Wal-Mart has notoriously been known to not treat their workers with many benefits by keeping them as part-time employees.

I think a lot of companies are looking at new frontiers to expand their business. I mentioned this over a year ago, but there is an incredibly open market with gay marriage...a possible long-term boost of up to 10%, not to mention the explosion of wedding business if gay marriage were legalized. Of course, gay marriage has nothing to offer many churches and religions. It doesn't offer procreation of children nor the valid morality of their scripture. Why would they want it?

So, the battle between corporate and religious America will likely come down to the dollar. Of course, since this is America, I wouldn't expect it any other way.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Does this mean we can get married so we can destroy the sanctity of marriage and America to prove the fundies right? ;)

Kara said...

Uhhhhh...no.

Another news item that broke yesterday was Faith Hill and her husband bashing Bush for the way Katrina was handled. The Dixie Chicks bashed Bush a few years ago and suffered a lot with their fans, so I'm wondering how Faith and hubby will do (along with Wal-Mart) with the country folk who seem very supportive of our current President. They seem to get all worked up on stuff that isn't relevant to the service being offered.

I mean, I wasn't big on Reggie White's ultra-religious philosophy, but he played a mean game of football, and was a great assett to the Packers. I respected him as a player, and didn't let the other stuff bug me.