Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Foster kids

When I entered transition, one of the main things I realized was that I would likely never have my own children. Sure, I stored some sperm just in case I later met a woman, but honestly, I figured that sperm would never be used. That was 4 years ago. Hmmm...that reminds me, my 5 year renewal is up next year. They say that the frozen sperm are only good for 10 years...if my memory serves me, but after a quick web search, there are reports of pregnancies after 15 years of storage.

So, anyway, I was seriously thinking about adoption last summer, but the first day those serious thoughts rambled through my brain was also the day I received some news about a potential new venture. That venture didn't pan out, but it did distract me from further ponderings on adoption.

Financially, I'm not in a great situation to adopt or foster a child, nor do I have room in my current apartment. I suppose I could find a cheaper place to cut down on rent, but I need to get things in a little better order before I consider going down this path.

Today's article about a San Francisco based program trying to find permanent homes for gay, lesbian, and transgender youth got me thinking again.

Do I want to raise a child? Am I 'finished' with my life, such that I am ready to share it with a child? Could I raise a child on my own? Am I parent material?

These will probably be thoughts I'll look at over the next year as my finances start to recover to near normal levels.

No comments: