Tuesday, October 28, 2003

Courtney arrives

Yesterday was pretty packed. I took an early lunch yesterday and went to a book signing of one of my favorite authors. It was so cool finally meeting him in person. He signed a few of my books, then off I went back to work.

After that, I spent a few hours at work trying to get everything done but all I could think about was Courtney arriving later that afternoon. I tracked her flight online to make sure it wasn’t delayed, then headed for the airport. I parked in the short term parking, then hiked over to the baggage area. Right when I made it up to that area, I saw a large crowd had just begun flowing down the stairs. I looked at the current crowd, then flowed with them while checking the group ahead of me as they moved toward her airline’s baggage claim. I circled around the stairs since I didn’t see her, and as I re-approached the stairs, I saw her....a tall blond girl wearing a comfy T-shirt and baggy jeans carrying a backpack.

She didn’t see me as I approached her from behind. She was still considerably ahead of me but I reached her at the baggage claim. I tried calling her number just to be a smart ass, but it didn’t go through, so I just whispered her name. She slowly turned to see who I was.

We hugged.

We dropped her stuff off at my place, then did some brief shopping as we waited for Brandon to make his way up for dinner. She was starving since it was rather late for her. We met Brandon at TGIFridays for dinner about 8pm our time, then crashed back at my place. Since I have a queen sized bed, Courtney and I just slept in it instead of forcing someone to take the couch. I was worried at first since she is rather tall and might “push” me out of bed, but it worked out fine.

This morning, I got up early and went for over 3 hours of electro. After we were done, I met a TS named Rachel who was having “down below” worked on. She looked great...maybe a few inches taller than me, slim, not overly muscular, and a cute face with nice hair. Some of my electrologist’s clients aren’t involved with the T community that much, and simply just get to where they need to be without really making many TS friends. This was one such girl. She had a great GG support group, and was getting to where she needed to be.

Sometimes people ask me why I have my stuff on the web. I guess I am one of those that just likes to help people. I never found any good sites while I was trying to figure all of this TS stuff out, and not until recently have I seen some good ones pop up. If I can add my own story of an early 30 something TS making her way through transition, then maybe someone else down the road will have something to get them through their own journey. Plus, my family and friends can learn a little more about the person they think they never really knew. Some think I have lied to them for a long time...and in a way, I have, but it was to protect them and myself from the rough cruelty that society inflicts on those that are different.

Anyway...back off tangent. After electro, Courtney and I drove up to the city for her to get her X-rays. We stopped off at In-N-Out on the way there, barely making it to the appointment on time. As soon as we walked in, I spotted another TS friend from the young TS group I’ve been to a few times. The girl is like 22, skinny as a rail, and has a father that is going to pay for FFS. Whew, lucky girl. We chatted for a little while, and after getting her X rays, convinced her to look at them before heading over to Dr. O’s. I told her that her bone structure looked a lot like mine and quoted her a price near $40k, but she was hoping for something far less. Between the time Claudia left and Courtney had her X-rays, I was only able to read about 2-3 pages of Middlesex. And people wonder why it takes me so long to read books.

After that, we headed over to Dr. O’s, and like myself before, she got in a little early. I finished a few more pages before Claudia and I struck up another conversation after her consult. My quotation came out about right, and she was a little disappointed. We talked a little more about where she was in her journey, and what the future held for her. I envy her. She’s young and is just finishing college, with a financially-supportive father.

Courtney joined us after her consult with a dollar figure just barely above mine. It appears he raised the rate on two items between our two consultations. We took the conversation rather late in the office waiting area, and I think at one point they were gradually trying to get us to leave.

We grabbed some pizza tonight at one of the local pizza shops. I finally got her to try artichokes on her pizza. She said she wasn’t that impressed, but at least she tried them.

No comments: