Sunday, April 25, 2004

California Dreamin' 2004

Another busy weekend. Well, it feels pretty busy. I’m back into the electro routine, and was at the usual restaurant to pick up dinner for my zapper and I. There used to be this one bartender named Brandon who was usually there to take care of me, but I haven’t seen him the past two weeks. I wondered if he would be able to recognize me since there are very few people who saw me before and wasn’t informed of my changes, and now had the opportunity to see me after.

Speaking of people knowing me before and seeing me after, there is this really cute girl at work named J who saw me on Friday, walks up to me and says, “So, are you going by K... now?” I told her it was Kara now. She said she’d seen me back that first week but didn’t recognize me until I said something to her in passing. She also said she had been left out of the loop and didn’t know what had happened. I was really surprised since my news usually makes its way around pretty fast.

Anyway, after electro on Saturday, I was scheduled to attend California Dreamin’. Dr. Meltzer, who I have decided will probably be my SRS surgeon, since that flight from Arizona would be the shortest home, was giving a presentation in the afternoon. Dr. O was scheduled to present right before him. Since you pay for the whole day, I figured I might as well catch both seminars. I was a little early for Dr. O’s seminar, so I sat outside Carla’s reading Dr. Meltzer’s SRS info that his office has previously sent me. I saw Mira and Dr. O pull up and walk toward the entrance. I decided to just sit there to see if either of them recognized me. They didn’t. Hee hee. After a few more minutes of reading and then packing my things up, I headed in to say hi to Mira and Dr. O. I said hi to Mira first who recognized me once I got close and said something. She seemed pretty amazed, but then again, she always seems quite friendly when she sees any of us. She made sure that Dr. O was aware that I was there, and he even gave me a hug. Ahhhhh. Sure, the guy gets a bad rap for saying some of the same things to everyone in his consults and he’s very proud of his results, but deep down he’s a really nice guy that cares a lot for the TS and TG community. Yeah, he tells everyone to lose weight, but that’s because it makes it easier for him to produce good results and it’s good for the patient to be in good physical shape to make it through surgery in a healthy manner.

After his presentation, Dr. Meltzer came in and both of them began talking to one another. OK, now how often is a TS going to get the doctors that change her life drastically for the better all in one place? Dr. O has already worked most of his magic, and I’ll hopefully be able to get in to see Dr. Meltzer inside the next year. Yeah, I have basically decided upon him. I have had a number of friends already go to him, and I have a few more friends headed to him this upcoming year. Anyway, so I asked Mira if she would take a picture of me with both of them, and after interrupting their conversation with Mira’s help, I did.


Dr. O, Kara, Dr. Meltzer

Dr. Meltzer talked about all of his procedures, although I was really hoping he would go more into his SRS procedure. He also went over his breast augmentation procedure, and from the results he presented, he does a pretty good job. Of course, no surgeon is going to present bad results. Anyway, that’s something I will consider for next year. 



Both of the presentations ran a bit long, but I was able to chat with a TS I met several years ago, but hadn’t seen recently. She has been full time for a number of years, but is still trying to take care of the finances for SRS. I told her my plan to have the surgery inside the next year, and that I was still looking for friends that might be headed there around the same time.

Speaking of friends, since I was in ugly mode again this weekend, I invited a few over for fajitas and a movie. I picked up Win a Date with Tad Hamilton. Although it was a fairly simple movie, it was still quite cute and entertaining. I’ll give it a thumbs up, although I’m glad I waited to catch it on video. Also, since the presentations did run long, wouldn’t you know it that everyone else would be running on time. Yep, they called me while I was on my way back to my apartment saying they were at my door and no one was there. Doh...sorry guys.

When I take the pain killers for electrolysis on the weekend, I often find myself just kinda ‘blah’. Because of that, I don’t usually do much on the weekend since I’m just worn out. Combining that situation with a little aggravation over people not communicating what they were bringing, I started to become a little irritable. Unfortunately, I think I took most of that irritability out on Claire...probably because, well, I consider her a really good friend who has a fairly good grasp on reality. Perhaps I was reaching out needing some type of consoling. Who knows. I called her today, though, to apologize for my rude behavior.

Anyway, Rachel worked up some great food in the kitchen, while Amy provided some nice marinated chicken for cooking. “JoanB” also brought over a little steak to cook up, and Rachel did her best with my meager utensils at hand.

No comments: