Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Two Months Post FFS

So, I’m two months post-op FFS. I’ll start from the top and go down. First, the top of the scalp is still numb, and lately it has been itching like the dickens. It mainly itches around the edges, especially in front. When I brush my hair in the morning, it feels so good when the bristles rub that same area. Oh yeah, I can’t feel the areas that do itch...so, they just itch. When I scratch that area, I can’t feel anything.

The feeling in my forehead has fully returned, so has the feeling in my lower lip. Both were slightly numbish after surgery.

The swelling in my nose has slightly subsided, and there is a bump on the upper left area. Dr. O said it could be bone bruising and that I would have to wait to see if it was swelling or just misshaped. The inside portion of the nose is still very stiff, but it has loosened up enough that I can now move it side to side a few millimeters...but it’s still very stiff when I do that. For those wanting to know, I still can’t pick my nose, which kinda sucks when having to clean things out. For those that didn’t want to know...sorry about grossing you out with too much information.

The upper lip is still a bit restrictive since it’s attached to the nose. The area that was cut out between the bottom of my nose and the top of upper lip area is still a bit stiff, too, which probably leads to the restrictive feeling. My chin is still a bit swollen, especially on the two bump areas on each side. My jaw muscles are still a bit sore as well, especially when biting down on anything hard. I can mainly eat about anything, although I still watch it with the harder items. I’m able to open my mouth wide about 95% of what I used to be able to, and that last 5% will probably come over the next month or two.

The inside of the mouth is still a pain. The incision he made along the base of my bottom gums is still very tight and restrictive. It almost feels like I have been wearing a chin strap for the past two months. The incision scar looks a bit freakish, but hopefully it will all return to slightly normal with time.

The scar line under the chin is still raised up, but the exterior of the scar looks pretty minor. It should continue to subside over the next few months to a year.

One weird thing is the tricky part of touch. When I touch the upper portion of my nose, I can also feel it along my right eyebrow. When I touch the outer orbital rim of my left eye, I also feel it a few inches above my left ear. Weird.

No comments: