Tuesday, April 20, 2004

Doctor, Doctor, gimme the news...

Last month, I called my health provider to set up an appointment to get the lumpy mass on my testicle checked out. I mentioned it to my therapist that I couldn’t tell if it was a lump on my testicle or if it was in the vas deferens. Either way, she said I should probably get it checked out, although she said the worst that could happen to me would be the removal of the testes...which wouldn’t be that bad. Anyway, they never called me back on that first attempt. So, I called again last week. I had to explain that even though I was living as a woman that I was transitioning and still had some male parts below. She said it was a first for her. Initially, she was going to send me to a gynecologist, but I told her it would probably be best to see my general practioner since a gyn probably wouldn’t know what to do. She agreed and set up an appointment for yesterday morning.

After the normal nurse routine of weight, blood pressure, and temperature, she asked what medications I was taking. I rattled them off, and this time the nurse didn’t ask me how to spell any of them, nor did she repeatedly ask for the name of my medications. Hey, perhaps they are getting better at this. Anyway, my doctor came into the room and asked how I was doing. He said I looked great and we talked a little about the general medical side of my transition. I explained to him what I had done for FFS. After the small talk, he examined my right testicle and found that it was the vas deferens. Good news for me!!! He said I probably noticed the lumpy mass since the testicle had become smaller and the mass was now more noticeable. He said it was nothing to worry about. Whew!

No comments: