Sunday, April 18, 2004

The Dynamic Duo

Robi, Pete, and I were in another meeting on Wednesday when we diverged again. This time we got on the subject of the different dynamics between male-male, female-male, and female-female situations. I said I was used to the male-male and the female-male dynamic, but was still getting used to the female-female one. I told them that I got much better service over in Receiving now compared to before, since that entire area was basically made up of men. The male-male dynamic kinda sucks when you ask someone to do something for you. There’s just nothing the other person is working for in that type of situation, but when it’s a girl asking a guy to do something, they almost seem to go out of their way to get it done...just to impress her...especially if she is pretty.

It’s a very powerful dynamic.

I told Robi that I was still getting used to the female-female dynamic. It was much easier getting women to do something for me as a man than it was now as a female. It’s the same thing before with the guys, but only in reverse now. I believe Robi said it was better to treat this new dynamic by getting them to sympathize with me and my request. Hmmm...this is something I am going to have to work on.

Brin, a fairly new hire that sits near me and has been very positive with my whole transition, asks me if I am dating. I’m not sure what her reason was for asking that question, but I told her that the dynamics of dating right now just don’t exist. Another coworker was right there in our conversation, and he kinda blushed at that point. Hmmm...don’t know why.

No comments: