Sunday, April 04, 2004

Trouble

I’m usually one to do things strictly by the book, especially when it comes to my health. Well, this weekend, I didn’t. So sue me.

Dr. O and Mira state waiting 3 months after FFS before returning to electrolysis or laser. Unofficially, it’s been stated that no one has had any trouble beyond 2 months.

I have a lot of things going for me...I’m short, I’m fairly thin (although still quite muscular), I still have most of the hair on top of my head, I have a decent job to afford FFS and SRS, I have parents that still love me through my transition, and I live in one of the best areas of the world in which to transition. One of the biggest detractors from my transition, though, is my facial hair. I have very coarse, dark persistent facial hair. I spent the first 150 hours basically thinning the stuff because I didn’t want people at work noticing tracks of hair that were missing after an electrolysis session. I didn’t start stripping the areas until I felt that the remaining shadow was light enough. That was over 100 hours ago and I still have a ton of hair. And, of course, not being able to have electrolysis the two weeks prior to FFS and three months after is hard to deal with when you’re trying to move on with your life. So, I talked to my electrologist about my situation. I told her I was ready to come back this week, 6.5 weeks after FFS. I asked her to turn the power down to minimal and to not “dig”, which she sometimes has to do to get some of those nasty little boogers out. Since she works with strictly galvanic power, she said I should be fine. We’d take the normal sanitary precautions, and if there were any bad reactions, we’d stop.

So, yesterday, I had 1.5 hours of electrolysis across the upper lip and under the lower lip. Ahhhhh! Finally, less hair. It’s pretty dense right now, though, so it’s still going to take a while before we start clearing in 4 hours again. Yes, 4 hours. That’s the lowest I have been on full clearing time....or, well, mostly clearing.

Yes, I’m breaking the rules. So be it. I’m taking my chances. It’s my life, my face, and my skin. I’m taking full responsibility for my actions. I know the risks, but I need the hair gone. I need a life. I want to be able to go out into the world. I don’t want some guy to see me from a distance, approach me, then beat the crap out of me when he sees my facial hair. That’s not a good situation.

So, don’t do as I do...do as they recommend and wait. Most people will wait, simply because they hopefully won’t have the persistent hair that I have, or they will have taken care of all of it before going through FFS.

So, after electro yesterday, I had lunch with Brooke. Wow, she can really pig out. The girl is skinny as a rail with a bottomless stomach, and keeping up with Ms. Jones is basically impossible. I had a doggie bag. She didn’t.

I cruised up to see the visiting KateW from the UK who had her FFS this past week. Claire and Amber were already at the Cocoon House when I arrived. KateW was 4 days post-op and looking pretty good. She still had the nose packing in, which came out earlier today, and was very woozy from the entire affair. She mentioned that she didn’t have much recollection of the past four days. We asked her if she remembered Claire visiting her the first night, and she said she only remembered her being there. I asked her if she remembered my visit, and she basically looked at me as though I was kidding. I asked her if she remembered us taking a lap around the ward. Ahhh...that caught her memory. She said she did remember it, but only when I brought it up. That is one of the nice things about the pain killers...you don’t really remember much from the entire event.

Anyway, after visiting with KateW, I had dinner with Amy, Amber, and Claire....yep, those three again. Trouble follows them around...well, at least that’s what they like to call me.

Anyway, I’m tired. I think I ate something bad yesterday as my stomach has been feeling woozy since the middle of last night.

No comments: