Wednesday, April 07, 2004

That's what friends do

I was on my way to the city last night to see KateW and her mom in the Cocoon House, when this guy in a truck on the freeway cuts right in front of me. You’d think I would be used to it because they do it to me every time I’m out on the freeway....but nooooo....I still get upset. I gave him a dirty look as I went by him....but he never saw me.

Do you ever notice that when someone you don’t know does something very annoying to you, you feel this horrible disgust for them...but when it’s a friend, you just let it slide. It’s always different for friends compared to others we don’t know, but then again, that’s why they’re our friends, right?

After saying “hi” to a much improved KateW and her mom still in very good spirits, I went over to have a little talk with a friend. Ms. Friend has been going through a rough period with finances and some of the ugly side--effects of GID, so I went up to talk to her about her situation. That’s what friends are for.

We talked over salads and a pizza, discussing her different options if she runs out of money while unemployed. She has a few opportunities coming up, but because it takes a while for money to start coming in once you do get a job, I was especially worried about her short term situation. She also said that a few other friends had called her with different possibilities, so she does have a few options if things do not go well. I told her I could let her stay at my place, but there wouldn’t be that much room.

Her transition has progressed fairly well, and she seems to have done well in her past year, but there are still a number of residual items to work out when you transition so fast. I was also worried about her well-being since it’s hard enough in this world being unemployed, let alone being a transsexual who has lost, hopefully only in the short-term, some of those dear to her. It’s also hard being alone in this world. I know.

When I was in a large store having some recent pictures developed, there was a person at the door asking for donations for some charity. I didn’t give. I felt bad. I’ve become much more self-centered in my journey. I’ve worked fairly hard for my money, gave up 10 years of my life just trying to be a man earning a decent wage, and now I’m using that money to finally be me. I didn’t give to the woman at the store, but I do give to friends. I bought my friend’s dinner and made her take home the leftover pizza because that’s what friends do.

No comments: