Saturday, July 10, 2004

Hot in Arizona

4:29pm – Dawg!!! It’s hot here in Arizona. Amber and I walked around the 5th Avenue shops in the Old Scottsdale area after we ate out for lunch. Now, I’m back in the airport – with plenty of time to spare. The week has really flown by, and I wish I could stay a bit longer. It’s nice to go home, though, back to cooler weather.

I’ve learned a lot during my stay with Amber through SRS and the initial recovery. Don’t start back with solid food – go liquid before building into the solid stuff. Bring plenty of baggy clothes or long skirts. And finally, be prepared for a lot of bruising and swelling.

Amber let me look at her surgical site a few times, basically so I can understand and see all of what has happened. It’s not a pleasant sight to see, just in general. It’s almost scary, but I know that once the swelling and bruising subside, her new vaginal area will look pretty good. It’s still wild thinking that she no longer has her male reproductive organs. They’re gone. Forever. Early next year, I’ll be experiencing the same thing. Wow. It’s still quite amazing. I think this is going to hit me much harder than FFS, or then again, I could blow through it just like FFS. I knew what I was getting into with FFS because I’d seen a few friends go through it and turn out looking pretty decent – after an ugly period of sutures, swelling, and dimples, of course. Amber is the first person with whom I’ve been able to experience SRS up close and personal. I haven’t seen the results of other TS who have been to Dr. Meltzer, but most have told me they’re very happy with their results.

He’s really a nice guy though, as we chatted while he was making his rounds today. He’d biked to the surgery center and changed into scrubs to check in on everyone. He said he had a Trek bike, just like Lance Armstrong. I, myself, have a Cannondale that I bought several years ago when I got into riding to compete in triathlons. When I thought about my bike earlier today, I realized that I’ll have to get a new seat in order to ride it after SRS. They basically make a seat with a little opening in the area where the – well, you get the idea.

Anyway, it’s been a fairly relaxing vacation, except for the anxious time I spent worrying how Amber was doing in surgery. I didn’t get out much around the surgery center since it was way too hot. I figure I can do some walking around next time when the temperature is a little milder. The only downside is that I’ll be a little sore from SRS.

So, the next time I say hello to Scottsdale, I’ll be saying good-bye to my penis and hello to the rest of my life.

No comments: