Thursday, July 22, 2004

It’s my (birthday) party and I’ll cry if I want to

Yep, I’m 34 today. Wow, 34!!! I’m getting older and older every year. Duh. I think it’s just the rationality of the physical number change. Time is fluid, yet birthdays are not. They let us, ok me, know that we are, indeed, mortal creatures. Anyway, I’m old. OK, yeah, yeah, I’m young compared to some, but to others, I’m old. I guess it’s all relative.

I check my email on my old boy account here and there just to make sure that I’ve transferred everyone over to my regular email, and when I do I get a few people that IM me thinking I’m someone else. I established that email address way back in 1993, so it uses very common words. Now I get these kids that think I’m someone else because they are either boneheads who have written down AOL instead of something like Yahoo, or their friend gave them the wrong screen name – whatever. They’re always asking me who I am. When I tell them that I am not who they think I am, they don’t believe me. I tell them that I’m not in high school and I am, at this time, 34. I could basically tell them anything else and they wouldn’t believe me, but when I tell them I’m in my 30’s, they do. I think their logic is based on the concept that “why would anyone lie about being in their 30’s, or being old?” I think it’s funny.

What’s really funny, though, is that new people that meet me in person or see my pictures after FFS seem to think I range around my late 20’s. Even my new boss guessed my age at 28. Ahhhh…..how nice, huh? Some have a hard time believing I’m 34 now. OK, well, they don’t have that hard of a time. It’s nice looking like I’m in my late 20’s, but I still feel like I’m in my mid 30’s. Ouch – I’m now mid 30’s instead of early 30’s. Anyway, yeah, getting old to me has meant more about my body being sore, my hair turning gray (which started in college for me), and just not having the energy that I used to have…but it’s nice to look younger – especially since the girl inside is way younger than she looks.

So, I’m not a work today, but then, I’m not off either. I’m in a 2-day training class. I was starting to doze off earlier so I decided to write an entry between the important parts of the training. The instructor is obviously a former machinist, as are two participants in the class, except they are current. The bad thing is they keep bashing engineers even though they know Robi and I are engineers. It took a little while, but I think the older male instructor has taken a liking to Robi and myself. I guess he likes pretty girls. Earlier, I was thinking about the dynamic of two girls in here being “smarter” than the boys, but I didn’t want to seem like a bitch. I’m sure over time that the treatment of intelligent women, or just women in general, by men, will get annoying with time, but it’s been ok today. I think some of it was because I was passively intelligent while also trying to be warm and charming. I don’t know what type of trouble that can get me into, either with the instructor, classmates, or a female coworker, but I can at least ask the coworker on the drive home….or, then again, perhaps I’m overanalyzing things.

No comments: