Friday, July 23, 2004

The Day After My Birthday

Dawg! I’m tired. I went to bed around 1:30 and got up at 6am in order to be where I need to be for the second day of this class. Why was I up so late? I was out to dinner with Claire, Amy, Tyler, and the visiting Vivianne. We ate some very nice Vietnamese at Tao Café, although I could have done without some of the mint they added to everything. I think I must be the only one that doesn’t like mint in their food – even preferring that it not taint my chocolate, although I can tolerate it enough to get my cocoa fix.

Lucky for me, there was no mint in my Chocolate Decadence which arrived with a lit candle atop it. (My friends had mentioned my birthday to our waitress.) Before I knew it, or table neighbors had started up a very in-tune rendition of “Happy Birthday.” Since our neighbors didn’t know my name, they stopped right after “dear” at which point Claire became the only one who said (or was loud enough to be heard to say) “Kara” before they continued on. Claire became a little embarrassed when that happened, but she was cute in her solo performance before the rest continued on with the song. I then blew out the candle. Tyler asked if I made a wish, at which point I realized that I didn’t. So, I relit the candle, made a wish, then blew it out again. (what do you mean “that doesn’t count”…of course it does…it’s my wish dammit) I can’t tell you what I wished for because then it wouldn’t come true. I’ll let you know if it does though. I did tell Tyler, though, that all of my previous wishes were already coming true. I wonder how many TS have wished away GID or for the opportunity to be themselves?

Afterward, a majority of us went for drinks at a bar over on Polk Street, and like dinner, I found front row parking. And just like last year, I got my drink for free without even mentioning my birthday. Of course, it was only a cherry Sprite.

After a slightly emotional sendoff to Vivianne, I dropped the other two rugrats off at BART before heading home…crashing at 1:30. At least on the way to class today, I heard an alternative version of Tomorrow – yes, the same song little orphan Annie sings – except this was covered by Rivers Cuomo of Weezer. It wasn’t as alternative as I thought it could have been, but it was enough to give me a little smile to start tomorrow today.

No comments: