Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Why so serious?

So, I received this email not too long ago about the company golf tournament. I thought, “Hey, it would be cool to go out and play from the red tees, but would it be fair to all of the other women?” But then I thought, “It sure would be nice to bring down those big shots who win it every year.” OK, OK, I’m not that good, but teeing off from the red tees would sure be an advantage to almost any team I’d be on.

I told all of this to my new boss (hmmm…when should I stop calling him my new boss, and just give him a name…OK, well, let’s make it today…his new name is just going to be L), and so, we have a little discussion on golf. I told him I used to play golf on the weekend because it was fun, macho, and it killed time on a Saturday or Sunday morning. Now, however, I have shopping!!! He just laughed and said I was too funny.

On a serious note, I read an article today about the French annulling a gay marriage that a rogue Mayor performed. It appears that even though over 60% of the French are OK with gay marriages, the politicians have decided to define marriage as that between a man and a woman. They say that the main function of marriage is having children and that marriage is considered the foundation of family. They also mentioned that children need a mother and a father.

Ya know, I still haven’t figure out what all of these people are afraid of. What’s wrong with gay people getting married? Who is it going to harm?

OK, so let’s take a look at it from the other side. So, if people can only get married if they plan on having children, then we should annul marriages in which people cannot have children. This includes any women who have had a hysterectomy and any men that are sterile. And any family that decides to separate will have to give up their kids to families that have both a mother and a father. Oh, and if one of the parents dies, then the kids must be taken away as well.

Now let’s hit the basic part of “marriage”…a union between a man and a woman. First, what is a man, and what is a woman. Do you use birth certificates? If so, then any woman born with Androgyne Insensitivity Syndrome would be at an impasse because she is XY instead of XX. And any woman who is XO, well, she’s neither, so can she marry? And what about a man who is born XYY or XYYY? Or how about an intersexed person that is born with both genitalia? Or what about transsexuals? So, can I legally marry a man or a woman? Believe it or not, I could legally marry a woman in Kansas and a man in California. Crazy, huh?

Why can’t we just use love to define marriage…two people who love one another enough that they want to share the rest of their lives with one another? Think of the positive aspect of it. The marriage business would see a 10% jump in business, and who knows what type of boon it would be initially since we have a little catching up to do. That would mean an increase in catering, cakes, hall rentals, marriage fees, DJ’s, tux rentals, wedding dress sales, photographers…and such. And just because a government body allows gay marriages doesn’t mean that all of the churches must marry them. The law would just allow two people to become wed by those that would perform the ceremony. So, what’s wrong with it? Are people afraid of gay people? Who knows? Plus, I don’t know why they think it will affect the foundation of marriage, because there are plenty of straight people already doing that. I mean, seriously, what’s the divorce rate nowadays? OK, OK, I’ll get off my stump now…who’s up for a little golf or shopping?

No comments: